Waterville Public Library
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." William Butler Yeats
- Britannica Online School Edition
Britannica Online School Edition gives teachers and students instant access to four complete encyclopedias that ensure consistency with classroom topics and age-appropriate language. Online learning materials developed by teachers and curriculum experts, as well as a dictionary, thesaurus, Internet guide, and atlas.
- Funk and Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
Provides over 25,000 encyclopedic entries. Searchable by subject or keywords within the entry.
- Searchasaurus for Kids
Easy-to-use, colorful interface for young kids. Databases include Primary Search, Middle Search Plus, Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedia, and EBSCO Animals.
- EBSCO Animals
Short articles describe thousands of animals by species and group, including size and appearance, habitat, life cycle. Some articles include a photograph of the animal.
- Maine Newsstand
Index to and full text coverage of five Maine newspapers. Database includes coverage of the Bangor Daily News (12/3/92-present), the Kennebec Journal (Augusta) (6/11/93-present), the Portland Press Herald (10/30/95-present), and the Central Maine Morning Sentinel (Waterville) (8/12/93-present). Selected business coverage of the Maine Times (2/4/94-4/25/02) is also included. Updated daily.
- Primary Search
Gathers information on a wide range of general topics for elementary schools and children"s reading rooms. Includes a searchable full text of articles, reports and special issues from over 50 of the most popular K-12 magazines. Includes searchable full text for over 100 pamphlet, essential documents in American History and the CIA Fact Book (and maps), The World Almanac of the U.S.A. and The World Almanac for Kids.
- Middle Search Plus
Designed to assist middle and junior high school students in learning how to research current events.
Not everything is online!!! Come to the library for:
- The World Book Encyclopedia
- Other general and subject encyclopedias
- Almanacs (books of current events, world records, quick facts)
- Dictionaries (word spellings, definitions, origins, pronunciations)
- Thesauri (the plural of Thesaurus -- a book of synonyms and antonyms)
- Atlases (maps on various themes: historical, geographic, cultural, environmental)
- Statistics (how many, how often, how long, how big? These questions can be hard to answer. Ask a librarian for help!)
Copyright 2017 Waterville Public Library. All rights reserved.
Web Design by Mark Nakamura
/ Web Development by Ben Greeley